We acknowledge that Knox Waterloo is located on the traditional territory of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee and Neutral peoples.*
Original Church Building: Locally, our roots go back to 1888 when a small group of interested people felt it would be a good idea to form a Distinct Congregation in Waterloo. Until this time, Presbyterians, living in Waterloo attended St. Andrew’s Church in Kitchener(Berlin). The property was selected on George Street in Waterloo. The new church was erected and the Cornerstone laid in June of 1888. It was to be named St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church. The first minister called to the pulpit was the Reverend A.E. Mitchell. The membership continued to grow and flourish.
Second Church Building: It wasn’t until after the Church Union Movement in 1925,when the Presbyterians wanted to remain a separate denomination, that Knox Presbyterian Church was formed. Property was purchased, the church was erected and the cornerstone for the new church was laid in June of 1927. The first Minister of the newly formed Church was the Reverend W.G. Richardson. In 1939 the first pipe organ was installed.
Third Church Building: In 1957, a new and larger Sanctuary was built along with more class rooms. This resulted in much needed space for the Sunday School and the many groups that were forming within the Church Family. An addition was built in 1977 to provide more office space and expanded foyer entrance way.
- God is sovereign in our life and world
- As disciples we are called to make Jesus our model for our lives
- The Bible is our rule and guide for faith and love.
- As members of the Church we are to grow in spirit and love, in community, in service and to care for others.
*The sacred land on which Knox Waterloo is situated has been a site of human activity for 15,000 years. The Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe and Neutral people sought to walk gently on this land. They offered assistance to the first European travellers sharing their knowledge for survival in what was often a harsh climate. On October 25, 1784, after the American Revolutionary War of Independence, the Halidmand Tract – six miles on either side of the Grand River, all the way along its length – was given to the Six Nations of the Grand River by the British, as compensation for their role in the war and for the loss of traditional lands in Upstate New York. Of the 95,000 acres given to the Haudenosaunee, only 4,600 acres (less than 5 %) remains Six Nations land. It is important to recognize that Knox Waterloo is located on the Haldimand Tract.