The youth at Knox are a vital part of our congregation. We take seriously our commitment to nurture faith so that our teens will have a saving relationship with Christ. Many make a decision for Christ during their adolescent years and begin to live out in their own lives what it means to follow Jesus today.
We do not have a youth group but rather a youth ministry. We encourage mentoring and positive leadership training. Each year we are blessed to have teams of adults offer their leadership in the various areas of our youth ministry. Our Leading with Care Policy is important for the health and safety of everyone.
Youth Group Permission Form (to be competed to participate in many Youth Group activities)
- Junior High aged youth ( grades 7 and 8 ) meet together during the 10 a.m. Sunday morning worship. From time to time they get together for fellowship events and trips at other times. Events will be posted on our Upcoming page”.
- Sunday Morning – When you attend worship at Knox you often see our teens sitting together during worship. SENIOR HIGH meets during the 10am worship service on the second to fourth (or fifth) Sundays of every month. On the first Sunday of each month they stay in worship for communion. Our youth find meaning for their lives through the scriptures and current topics.
- Thursday Night – LOGOS is a mid-week ministry for school aged children from grades 1 to high school that runs from mid-September to mid-April. It is designed to nurture children, youth and their families into a lifetime of Christian discipleship through interactive ministry. Teens are a vital part of our Logos program and they participate fully in the recreation/craft time, dinner and family time, worship and music, and bible study.
- Monthly Youth Activities (M.Y.A.’s) – These monthly gatherings usually happen on the first Saturday night of each month. They are designed for fun and fellowship and can be anything from a hayride to a movie night, a scavenger hunt to a games night.
- Canoe Trip – The Annual Canoe Trip traditionally takes place every year on the weekend after the long May weekend. The graduating grade eight youth, are invited to come. The trip often starts at CAIRN camp and involves overnight in tents, swimming, and meals, canoeing and sitting around the camp fire.
- Confirmation – It is a wonderful thing to see our young people step forward to confirm the vows that were taken at their baptism. Confirmation Classes are opportunities for our teens to ask questions, learn more about their church, and how to grow in faith and discipleship. The classes take place in the spring.
- Music and the Praise Band –At Knox, we encourage youth to share their musical talent in worship, talent nights, and concerts. The Praise Band (vocalists and instruments) practice on Monday evenings and lead the praise and music in worship on a regular basis.
- 40 Hour Volunteering – Knox supports the 40 hr. volunteer requirements implemented by the school board for high school graduation. There are many opportunities at the church; from helping with church school and/or children’s programs, painting, gardening, and office help.
- Fund Raising – Knox Youth do an outstanding job at fundraising for various projects. In the past they have raised funds for Habitat for Humanity, AIDS programs in Africa, wells in Kenya and First Nation Ministries. Every year, the youth run the PANCAKE SUPPER, sell CHOCOLATES at Easter and participate in a 30 HOUR FAST.
- Mission Trips – In the last few years, mission awareness for our teens has included participating in our own youth mission trips. Our teams have travelled to Winnipeg, Manitoba to volunteer at Anishinabe Fellowship Centre and Flora House (Winnipeg Inner City Mission) which are centres for First Nation children, youth and adults. Our teens have helped to run children’s programs, painted, cleaned, gardened, donated and set up computer labs and created a playground.
- PYPS and Canada Youth – Knox encourages participation in Presbytery and Synod events sponsored by the Presbyterian Young Peoples’ Society. These take the form of camping events, concerts, retreats, conferences and worship. CANADA YOUTH is a national five-day residential event at Brock University in St. Catharines where youth, young adults, and youth leaders from across Canada come together as one community to live, worship, and play in a Christ-centred community. Knox regularly sends a delegation to this amazing event.
- Youth in Mission – Youth In Mission (YIM) is a program of The Presbyterian Church in Canada for people 16-30 years. Knox Church supports and encourages our young adults to volunteer with YIM. In recent years our youth have volunteered with YIM in Taiwan, Romania, Ukraine, Hungary, Croatia, Malawi, Scotland, and the Middle East.
- Camping Ministry – Summer Church Camp is a wonderful place for our youth to develop leadership skills and grow in fellowship and faith. We regularly have many teens from our church attending CAIRN (Glen Mhor and Iona), and KINTAIL Camps as Leaders in Training, as Counselors and as Program Staff.