Team Knox Waterloo is supporting PWS&D on Saturday, October 2, 2021 at Knox at 10:00 am by Riding for Refuge (i.e., refuge from hunger). In the Spring, the Knox Sunday School supported PWS&D through their Walk and Roll-a-Thon initiative which raised funds to help provide food security through immediate aid as well as agricultural training to sustainably increase food production. This work is critical since hunger is a growing condition in many countries.
A report by the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, titled State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World, reported that world hunger increased dramatically between 2019 and 2020, after remaining nearly unchanged for five years. In 2020 nearly a tenth of the world population – close to 811 million people – went hungry. An Oxfam report titled The Hunger Virus Multiplies, notes that three Cs have accelerated hunger and malnutrition in the world – the climate crisis, conflict, and the economic fallout of COVID-19.
Team Knox Waterloo.
PWS&D is working with Ride for Refuge which is a COVID-safe, family-friendly fundraising umbrella organization with participation from communities across Canada. With congregational support and participation, PWS&D hopes to raise $20,000 for their food security programs around the world. The Knox congregation can participate by either joining Team Knox to fundraise or by donating in support of the team.
Donate to Support the Team
From the Ride for Refuge homepage at https://rideforrefuge.org/home , click on “donate”. Then search Knox and you will see the team name and the members of the team. Click on the team or a specific member to make a supportive donation. Thanks – and please come to Knox at 10:00 am on Oct 2nd to be included in our Knox picture!
Join Team Knox and participate through many activities including cycling and walking. See below for a map of the cycling/walking route – all distances include the return to Knox.
Easy steps to join the team:
* Go to https://rideforrefuge.org/register to register with Ride for Refuge. Click on “First timer” if you have not registered before.
* The first step is to choose your charity – scroll down to select “Presbyterian World Service and Dev.” and click on “Next”.
* The second step is to read and agree to the waiver. Click on “Next”.
* The third step is to click on “Join a Team” and search Knox Waterloo. Click on Team Knox Waterloo and then “Next”.
* The fourth step is to complete your registration by entering your contact information and proceeding to the “details” and “finish” screens. As you do this, you will learn more about the process and ways to raise funds. You will also note that besides walking and riding, there are many other activities you can do to fundraise for PWS&D. For those who want to cycle, there will be suggested distances (which include the return to Knox) of 11, 14 or 24 km. along the Laurel Creek trail (see map below). For those who wish to walk there will be 3 and 5 km distances indicated. Regardless of the activity chosen, everyone will be invited to be at the Knox parking lot at 10:00 am on Oct 2nd for a complete team picture.
This year there is no registration fee, however to earn a RIDE T-shirt you do have to fundraise to a certain level.
Children 10 and under: Fundraise $75 to earn your t-shirt.
Youth 11-17: Fundraise $75 or more to earn your t-shirt.
Adults 18 and over: Fundraise $150 or more to earn your t-shirt.
If you have questions, please contact Grant Birks, team leader, at firstname.lastname@example.org.