Preparation for Worship
“Jesus is, for us as Christians, the decisive revelation of what a life full of God looks like. Radically centered in God and filled with the Spirit, he is the decisive disclosure and epiphany of what can be seen of God embodied in a human life. As the Word and Wisdom and Spirit of God become flesh, his life incarnates the character of God, indeed, the passion of God. In him we see God’s passion.”
Marcus J. Borg, The Heart of Christianity
Entry of the Bible
Call to Worship
One: In the beginning, God created light;
All: morning broke open on the first day.
One: When the time was right, God came among us as light
All: and lived among us in Jesus Christ.
One: The light shines in the darkness,
All: and the darkness does not overcome it!
Hymn 712 “Arise, your light is come”
Gathering Prayer and Lord’s Prayer – The prayer concludes with:
Light of the world,
enter into the depths of our lives.
Come into the dark and hidden places.
Walk in the storehouse of our memories.
Hear the hidden secrets of the past.
Plumb the very depth of our being.
Be present through the silent hours,
and bring us safely to your glorious light.
Peace Invocation: “May the Peace of Christ be with you”
Assurance of God’s Grace
Passing the Peace
(We share a sign of Peace with one another.)
Fun With the Young at Heart
Sunday School this week: John 1:29-42 “The Holy Ordinary”
Next week: Matthew 4:12-23 “To Whom Do We Belong”
Life and Ministry of Knox Waterloo
Presentation of our offering:
Offertory: “Al Shlosha D’Varim” Music: Allan E. Naplan
Text: Jewish (Mishnah). Translation: “The world is sustained by three things: by truth, by justice, and by peace”
Hymn “For the life that you have given”
Prayer of Dedication
Scripture: John 1:29-42
Sermon: “Come and see”
Musical Reflection: “Draw the circle wide”
Prayers of Thanksgiving and Hope
Hymn 355 “Light of the minds that know him”
Choral Closing “Walk with me”
Walk with me, I will walk with you;
And build the land that God has planned
Where love shines through.
Copyright 1988 Estate of John S. Rice OneLicense.net #A713805
Welcome Desk: Gloria Roberts & Nancy Matthews
Greeters: Judy & John McBride
Ushers: Gordon Coyne, Fred Schat, Dianne & John Linnerth, Sue & Bruce Dickieson
Radio/Sound: Mark Culp/Deb Lacoste
Broadcast: Kathleen Forde
Multimedia: Andrew Church
Giving Table: Eric Beard
Hospital Visitor: Sharon Feldmann
Refreshments: Pat & Harold Ball
Sunday Attendant: Tristan De Oliveira
Welcome to Knox Waterloo
- You are welcome in the name of Jesus.
- Individual listening devices for improved sound are available at the Welcome Desk.
- We have Scent-Free Seating on the front left side as you enter from the back. You can also enter the scent free area from the side door.
- There is a bright, modern nursery on the main floor next to the sanctuary. If your infant or small child needs care during the worship service, you may leave the sanctuary and return as you wish. You and your child are welcome during worship. Childcare for infants and toddlers is available.
- Worship bags, containing quiet activities are on the wall opposite the nursery and toddler room. You are welcome to borrow one of these bags.
- Offering envelopes are on the backs of seats. You may choose to give after worship using credit card, debit card, or e-transfer. If using an offering envelope please leave your full address on it. This is a requirement for all charities in order to send charitable receipts for gifts.
- Please take a moment, if you wish, to introduce yourself to one of the ministers, or a greeter at the welcome desk.
There are many ways to give at Knox Waterloo. Everything we do is supported by the financial generosity of our community. We give generously in many ways.
- Some through PACK (Pre Authorized Contribution to Knox)
- Some generously with gifts of appreciated assets
- Some give via Credit Card or Debit after Church
- Some with weekly offering envelops
- Now through the phone app Tithe.ly, for Knox Waterloo, using our credit card at any time we feel God’s grace and a want to give. We can give 24 hours a day through this app. This takes about 10 seconds.
Knox Waterloo Presbyterian Church statement of Inclusion:
God’s Love Includes Everyone. As an inclusive, affirming congregation, we honour the diversity of God’s creation. Our community is richer when we include people of all ages, gender identities, racial and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, economic circumstances and family configurations. We seek to provide a safe space so that each person can bring every aspect of their whole self into participation within this congregation. We invite all to join into the life, leadership, witness and ministry of Knox Waterloo.