Personal Preparation for Worship:
On this day of memory, we gather to sing and to pray, we remember the past and look to the future. On this day when the guns once fell silent, we come before you God, seeking Your peace. On this day of hope in the face of terror, we come before you God, praying with all our hearts: God our help in ages past, our hope for years to come. Open our eyes and the eyes of the nations to find a different path through the disagreements of life in this world. In this time of story, song, and prayer, may we be re-committed to being people of Peace, true peace. May we catch a vision of how the world could live together. And so, we echo the old prayers, Make us channels of your peace. Let there be Peace on Earth and let it begin with us! AMEN
Prelude “We are the Body” Brook Hills Music
Soloist: Andrew Hopper
Entry of the Bible
Call to Worship:
In a world still filled with violence and war,
we gather together to announce the promise of peace.
In a world filled with tyranny and oppression,
we gather together to declare the promise of justice for all.
In a world filled with hunger and greed,
we gather together to affirm the promise of plenty for all.
Our hope is in the name of the Almighty God,
the Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer of heaven and earth.
Hymn 736 “For the healing of the nations”
The Act of Remembrance:
A Reading “The Box” Senior High LOGOS
Laying of the wreaths
“Last Post” Deb Lacoste
“Reveille” Deb Lacoste
Hymn 833 (verse 1) O Canada
Prayer for forgiveness, hope and peace
Peace Invocation: “Shalom”
Passing the Peace (We share a sign of Peace with one another.)
Welcome, Acknowledgements and Announcements
Hymn 727 vs 1, 2 & 5 “Let there be light”
Time with the Children “The Story of Sadako”
Junior High LOGOS
Lighting a Candle for Peace
Scripture Reading – Romans 12:9-21
Witnessing Steward: Deb Schlichter & Rui Qiao
Presentation of our offering:
Offertory “Like the Stars in the Sky”
words and music Joanne Bender
sung by Knox Chancel Choir
Hymn “For the life that you have given”
Prayer of Dedication (unison on screen)
Anthem “God Weeps”
words by Shirley Wrena Murray,
music by Jim Strathdee
sung by Knox Chancel Choir
Prayer and Lord’s Prayer
Hymn “Let There Be Peace on Earth” (words on screen)
Choral Closing “Walk with me”
Walk with me, I will walk with you;
And build the land that God has planned
Where love shines through.
Copyright 1988 Estate of John S. Rice OneLicense.net #A713805
Welcome Desk: Annamma Abrahams
Greeters: Agnes and Richard Steffy
Ushers: Edi & Bill Stevens, Andrew Rozomiak, David Pratley, Sue & Bruce Dickieson
Radio/Sound: Joe Gordon
Broadcast: Ben Breen
Multimedia: Kathleen Forde
Giving Table: Gordon Coyne
Hospital Visitor: Beth Thorsen
Refreshments: Barb & George MacAskill
Sunday Attendant: Tristan De Oliveira
Welcome to Knox Waterloo
- You are welcome in the name of Jesus.
- Individual listening devices for improved sound are available at the Welcome Desk.
- We have Scent-Free Seating on the front left side as you enter from the back. You can also enter the scent free area from the side door.
- There is a bright, modern nursery on the main floor next to the sanctuary. If your infant or small child needs care during the worship service, you may leave the sanctuary and return as you wish. You and your child are welcome during worship. Childcare for infants and toddlers is available.
- Worship bags, containing quiet activities are on the wall opposite the nursery and toddler room. You are welcome to borrow one of these bags.
- Offering envelopes are on the backs of seats. You may choose to give after worship using credit card, debit card, or e-transfer. If using an offering envelope please leave your full address on it. This is a requirement for all charities in order to send charitable receipts for gifts.
- Please take a moment, if you wish, to introduce yourself to one of the ministers, or a greeter at the welcome desk.
There are many ways to give at Knox Waterloo. Everything we do is supported by the financial generosity of our community. We give generously in many ways.
- Some through PACK (Pre Authorized Contribution to Knox)
- Some generously with gifts of appreciated assets
- Some give via Credit Card or Debit after Church
- Some with weekly offering envelops
- Now through the phone app Tithe.ly, for Knox Waterloo, using our credit card at any time we feel God’s grace and a want to give. We can give 24 hours a day through this app. This takes about 10 seconds.
Knox Waterloo Presbyterian Church statement of Inclusion:
God’s Love Includes Everyone. As an inclusive, affirming congregation, we honour the diversity of God’s creation. Our community is richer when we include people of all ages, gender identities, racial and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, economic circumstances and family configurations. We seek to provide a safe space so that each person can bring every aspect of their whole self into participation within this congregation. We invite all to join into the life, leadership, witness and ministry of Knox Waterloo.