Today is “World Communion Sunday.” All around this beautiful world that God has given, we follow Jesus in sharing communion.
“Christ invites us all to this Holy Feast.
As we gather this morning,
we remember our sisters and brothers
from above and below the equator,
from the North and from Down Under,
from every time zone around the globe.
As today’s sunlight inches across land and sea
Christians gather to celebrate
their place in God’s family.
All are invited, and all are welcome.
Come, for the meal is ready!”
(from Worship Ways 2008)
Entry of the Written Word
Call to Worship (on screen)
Hymn 410 “Joyful, joyful we adore you”
Prayer of Adoration and Confession
Peace Invocation: “Shalom”
May the peace of The Lord be with you,
At home and in your heart
Shalom with you abide
Through the day and night
Every day of your life.
Passing of Peace
Introductory Music: “God is My Shepherd”
from Biblical Songs, Words and music: Anton Dvorak
Soloist: Jake Villeneuve
Welcome, Acknowledgements and Announcements
Reading of Edict: Deb Schlichter
Hymn 715 “Love the Lord your God”
Hymn 715 “Love the Lord your God”
(children grade 2 and younger head to their church school program. Grades 3 and up stay in worship today)
Scripture Reading: Acts 2:43-47
Presentation our Offering:
Offertory: “Peace Like a River” (with Amazing Grace)
Setting by Joel Raney, Knox Chancel Choir
Hymn “For the life that you have given”
Prayer of Dedication (unison on screen)
Sermon: The Welcome Table
Invitation to Holy Communion
Hymn 530 (verses 1-3) “I come with joy”
The Story of Communion
Prayer of Thanksgiving and Lord’s Prayer
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as in heaven, Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. Save us from the time of trial and deliver us from evil. For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and forever. Amen
Distribution of bread and cup
(please hold the elements until we may all take communion together at the same time)
Communion Anthem: “Sacred Feast”
Words and music by Winnagene Hatch,
sung by Chancel choir
Hymn 557 “Shout for joy! The Lord has let us feast”
Choral Closing “Walk with me”
This is the first Sunday with Rev Hugh Donnelly as our Lead Minister. To celebrate, we have ice cream sandwiches for everyone. Please spend some time after worship in the church hall. You have new friends to make. Hugh wants to get to know you.
Welcome Desk: Gloria Roberts & Nancy Matthews
Greeters: Lawrie Carter
Ushers: Kathy Hall, Dave Dougall, Gordon Coyne, Lucas Britto, Susan & Stuart McTavish
Radio/Sound: Mark Culp
Broadcast: Kathleeen Forde
Multimedia: Andrew Church
Giving Table: Rob Broberg
Hospital Visitor: Heather Cawsey
Refreshments: Ruth-Ann & Willi Ilgauds
Sunday Attendant: Willi Ilgauds
Welcome to Knox Waterloo
- You are welcome in the name of Jesus.
- Individual listening devices for improved sound are available at the Welcome Desk.
- We have Scent-Free Seating on the front left side as you enter from the back. You can also enter the scent free area from the side door.
- There is a bright, modern nursery on the main floor next to the sanctuary. If your infant or small child needs care during the worship service, you may leave the sanctuary and return as you wish. You and your child are welcome during worship. Childcare for infants and toddlers is available.
- Worship bags, containing quiet activities are on the wall opposite the nursery and toddler room. You are welcome to borrow one of these bags.
- Offering envelopes are on the backs of seats. You may choose to give after worship using credit card, debit card, or e-transfer. If using an offering envelope please leave your full address on it. This is a requirement for all charities in order to send charitable receipts for gifts.
- Please take a moment, if you wish, to introduce yourself to one of the ministers, or a greeter at the welcome desk.
There are many ways to give at Knox Waterloo. Everything we do is supported by the financial generosity of our community. We give generously in many ways.
- Some through PACK (Pre Authorized Contribution to Knox)
- Some generously with gifts of appreciated assets
- Some give via Credit Card or Debit after Church
- Some with weekly offering envelops
- Now through the phone app Tithe.ly, for Knox Waterloo, using our credit card at any time we feel God’s grace and a want to give. We can give 24 hours a day through this app. This takes about 10 seconds.
Knox Waterloo Presbyterian Church statement of Inclusion:
God’s Love Includes Everyone. As an inclusive, affirming congregation, we honour the diversity of God’s creation. Our community is richer when we include people of all ages, gender identities, racial and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, economic circumstances and family configurations. We seek to provide a safe space so that each person can bring every aspect of their whole self into participation within this congregation. We invite all to join into the life, leadership, witness and ministry of Knox Waterloo.