ACTIVITIES at a GLANCE:
May 9 10:00AM Worship
May 10 Elder Election commences
May 11 Presbytery meets
May 12 Sunday School Curriculum Night
We acknowledge that Knox Waterloo is located on the traditional territory of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee and Neutral Peoples.
SUNDAY WORSHIP – Christian Family Sunday
Christian Family Sunday is a celebration of different forms of family: biological, blended, chosen, and the family of God. We explore how faith is passed on between generations and shared in Christian community.
Don’t forget to download your copy of the Spring/Summer 2021 issue of the Knox newsletter, ACross the Pews. Access it on the Knox website or by clicking HERE.
NEW SUNDAY SCHOOL CURRICULUM EXPLORATION NIGHT
May 12, 7PM on zoom
This is a one evening commitment.
We invite you to participate in a Curriculum Exploration Night lead by Tori Smit, the Regional Minister for Faith Formation for our Synod. We value and need your input and feedback as we seek a new Sunday School curriculum for children and youth for September. We especially encourage Sunday school teachers, parents, youth, and elders to participate in this evening. Contact Carole for more info.
India is currently in the midst of a dramatic surge in COVID-19 cases, threatening its healthcare system and leaving already vulnerable families in crisis.
For more than a week, over 300,000 cases have been diagnosed daily. So far over 220,000 people have died in India and the crisis is only worsening. PWS&D is preparing to respond with its partners and ACT Alliance members in India to support people who are sick or quarantined at home with provisions to buy medicines and for other emergency needs. Additionally, they will work with communities to share messages on infection prevention and control, as well as information on vaccines. DONATE NOW
Here is a summary from the May 4, 2021 Session meeting:
- There was positive feedback from the Session New Leader Integration and Onboarding process held on April, 11, 2021. It was an opportunity for Session to get to know our leaders and each other better, building a strong leadership team. There was also very affirming feedback for the Ministers.
- We reviewed the process for the Elder Elections. This year there are two options to vote: on-line and by mail-in ballot.
- The Faith Formation Team is hosting an event on Wed May 12 at 7 p.m. to explore different Sunday School curriculum options for children and youth.
- There is planning underway for a virtual Vacation Bible Camp July 12 – 16, in partnership with Erb Street and Waterloo North Mennonite Churches.
- We reviewed the March financial statements and had a verbal update regarding the April financial picture. Financial information is shared with the congregation on a monthly basis, and a report to the congregation will be circulated when prepared.
- We received and reviewed a letter from the Rev. Peter Bush, Moderator of the Presbytery of Waterloo-Wellington. It included a reminder to care for ministerial and other church staff as they continue to provide worship and program opportunities under difficult circumstances due to COVID impacts and restrictions.
- We received and reviewed the final survey summary from the Transition Committee. There was very positive feedback regarding the transition process. The survey summary can be read here.
- We had a Stated Hour with a presentation from the Futures Team, a new group formed to help explore how Knox can plan for the future. Terms of Reference for the process were circulated so that Session could more fully discuss these ideas at their June Session meeting.
- We had an update regarding the Session responsibilities for the Leading with Care policies which are in place to ensure safety for vulnerable groups within the church.
- We approved the membership transfer of Lisa Koenig.
- The Lenten Links initiative helped to create several connections for those wishing for more contact.
Deb Schlichter, Clerk of Session
SIX MINUTES OF INSPIRATION…
This music video was shared at the Inclusion Initiatives meeting last Monday. It’s a beautiful prayer for justice, peace, and a call for “love to lead the way.” Watch it on YouTube