Every day we see people making choices: to speak out against injustice, or staying silent; reaching out to the homeless and refugee or withdrawing; exploring the root causes for world hunger or deciding that it’s too political and risky; protecting the environment or continuing to consume resources in greater amounts. Perhaps your choices seem insignificant, but from time to time in life you too are asked to choose between life and death, good and evil. As disciples of Jesus, may we choose the life that seeks the way of reconciliation; a life that contributes to the good of the whole community; a life that shares with generosity; a life that goes beyond well-known borders; a life in Christ that brings joy and purpose. Remember that even love is a choice.
Entry of the Bible
Call to Worship
One: God’s love is in our midst
All: Love that forgives and renews us
One: Love that enables us to reach out in love to others.
All: Love that is God’s great gift to us all.
One: We give thanks for God’s amazing love poured out on each one of us.
All: Let us worship God together!
Hymn 757 “Come sing, O church, in joy!”
Our father in heaven, hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come, your will be done
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
And forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial,
And deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power
and the glory are yours,
now and forever. Amen.
Peace Invocation: “May the Peace of Christ be with you”
Assurance of God’s Grace
Passing the Peace
Hymn 570 verses 1 & 4 “I have decided to follow Jesus”
Fun With the Young at Heart
Sunday School today: Deuteronomy 30:15-20 “Making Choices”
Next week: Matthew 17:1-19 “Holy Mountain, Holy Place”
Life and Ministry of Knox Waterloo
Carole Clyde-Ellis “Sunday School PWS&D Challenge”
Presentation of our offering:
Offertory: “Freedom is Coming” (Trad. South African)
sung by Knox Chancel Choir
Hymn “For the life that you have given”
Prayer of Dedication: (together)
God, you travel with us wherever we go. Your companionship gives us the assurance and confidence we need as we walk in your way. We are so grateful that we can participate in your ministry of grace and forgivenss. Receive these gifts that we bring and help us to bring your love to the world in your name. Amen
Scipture: Deuteronomy 30:15–20 “Choose life!”
Sermon: “This Day – Choose Life!”
Musical Reflection: “Swing Low Sweet Chariot”
(Trad. African American Spiritual) Soloist: Jessy Ernewein
Litany Prayer “We are called”
(Based on Allan Boesak’s address to the 22ndConference of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches, August 16th, 1989 in Seoul, South Korea)
Hymn 665 “Lord Jesus, you shall be my song”
Choral Closing “Walk with me”
Walk with me, I will walk with you;
And build the land that God has planned
Where love shines through.
Copyright 1988 Estate of John S. Rice OneLicense.net #A713805
Welcome Desk: Femmy Birks
Greeters: Sue & Bruce Dickieson
Ushers: Bob Reichard, Lucas Britto, Lynelle Purdy, Kathy Hall, Anne & John Fairles
Radio/Sound: Eric Gaudet
Broadcast: Barb Gaudet
Multimedia: Andrew Church
Giving Table: Heather Cawsey
Hospital Visitor: Kathy Kiggins
Refreshments: Edi & Bill Stevens
Sunday Attendant: Tristan de Oliveira
Welcome to Knox Waterloo
- You are welcome in the name of Jesus.
- Individual listening devices for improved sound are available at the Welcome Desk.
- We have Scent-Free Seating on the front left side as you enter from the back. You can also enter the scent free area from the side door.
- There is a bright, modern nursery on the main floor next to the sanctuary. If your infant or small child needs care during the worship service, you may leave the sanctuary and return as you wish. You and your child are welcome during worship. Childcare for infants and toddlers is available.
- Worship bags, containing quiet activities are on the wall opposite the nursery and toddler room. You are welcome to borrow one of these bags.
- Offering envelopes are on the backs of seats. You may choose to give after worship using credit card, debit card, or e-transfer. If using an offering envelope please leave your full address on it. This is a requirement for all charities in order to send charitable receipts for gifts.
- Please take a moment, if you wish, to introduce yourself to one of the ministers, or a greeter at the welcome desk.
There are many ways to give at Knox Waterloo. Everything we do is supported by the financial generosity of our community. We give generously in many ways.
- Some through PACK (Pre Authorized Contribution to Knox)
- Some generously with gifts of appreciated assets
- Some give via Credit Card or Debit after Church
- Some with weekly offering envelops
- Now through the phone app Tithe.ly, for Knox Waterloo, using our credit card at any time we feel God’s grace and a want to give. We can give 24 hours a day through this app. This takes about 10 seconds.
Knox Waterloo Presbyterian Church statement of Inclusion:
God’s Love Includes Everyone. As an inclusive, affirming congregation, we honour the diversity of God’s creation. Our community is richer when we include people of all ages, gender identities, racial and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, economic circumstances and family configurations. We seek to provide a safe space so that each person can bring every aspect of their whole self into participation within this congregation. We invite all to join into the life, leadership, witness and ministry of Knox Waterloo.