If we consider our church budget in terms of the key ministries of Knox, this is the story we discover. The percentages given indicate how much we benefit in having a well-balanced ministry at Knox.
Worship (25% of our budget): Gathering together to worship and praise God is a central part of our life as a community of faith. Preaching that applies scripture to our lives today and music that draws us close to God and ranges from classical to contemporary are important aspects of our worship.
- Preparation time by our ministers, our music ministry, office support and the upkeep of our sanctuary are the main components of this part of our budget.
Nurture (23% of our budget): We are blessed with one of the largest Presbyterian church schools in Canada and our thriving midweek LOGOS program is an opportunity for more in-depth Christian education. Our youth and university students participate in study and fellowship activities. Adults are nurtured through Bible studies, small groups and workshops. Hundreds of volunteer hours are devoted each week to the nurture ministry.
- The major expenses of this ministry are leadership by our ministers and Christian education director and the expense arising from the heavy demands placed on our building. Staff support and educational resources are also important.
Caring (23% of our budget): As Christians we are called to care for one another. Providing pastoral care and counseling to the over 1200 people in the Knox family occupies close to half our ministers’ time. This is supplemented by our visitation program that involves over 70 volunteers. Our radio and retirement ministries bring worship into the homes of elderly and shut-ins. Our staff connect those in need with the appropriate person to help them.
- The time our ministers spend offering pastoral care, the support provided by staff and the cost of the radio ministry are the largest expenses here.
Mission and Outreach (29% of our budget): God calls us to help people in need, wherever they may be. Through our contributions to the national church’s mission, development and emergency relief work we are making a difference both here in Canada and around the world. Our children and youth are engaged in mission projects and the congregation regularly responds to special needs. Within our own community we want to reach out with the good news of Jesus Christ.
- Our contributions to Presbyterians sharing, Presbyterian world service and development and the work of our Presbytery are the major part of the budget October 31, 2007
- Our vision is to be a vital and caring community, faithfully seeking to better serve God and our community.
- We can make that vision a reality, through the story described above, if we generously support our church with our time, skills and financial resources.