“When the song of angels is stilled, when the star in the sky is gone, when the kings and princes are home, when the shepherds are back with their flock, the work of Christmas begins: to find the lost, to heal the broken, to feed the hungry, to release the prisoners, to rebuild the nations, to bring peace among brothers and sisters, to make music in the heart.”
Entry of the Written Word
Call to Worship (from Isaiah 60)
One: Arise; shine; for your light has come!
All: And the glory of the Lord has risen upon us.
One: Lift up your eyes, look around and see.
All: We see God’s people, gathered from far and wide.
One: Bring your hopes and fears, bring your voices, hands and gifts and proclaim God’s love.
All: We bring the gift of who we are, offered today in worship and praise.
Hymn 171 “The people that in darkness”
Prayer of Approach and Lord’s Prayer
Peace Invocation: “Shalom” (also on screen)
May the peace of the Lord be with you,
At home and in your heart
Shalom with you abide
Through the day and night
Every day of your life.
Passing the Peace
Announcements and Acknowledgements
Hymn 516 verses 1-3 “A little Child the Saviour came”
Celebrating the Sacrament of Baptism
Today we celebrate the Sacrament of Baptism
for Harrison Richard Geoffrey,
infant son of Geoffrey and Allison Moroz
Aaronic Blessing 619
Congregational Response (unison)
As a community of faith, we receive and welcome this child in the name of Jesus. We promise to pray for him and to joyfully provide nurture, encouragement and love for all our children and youth. May we live fully and faithfully as disciples so that each child may be inspired to live lives filled with hope in following Jesus.
Gospel: Matthew 2:1-12
Hymn 173 verses 1 & 5 “We three kings”
Presentation of Offering
Offertory anthem: Schlafloser Augen Leuchte by Felix Mendelssohn
soloist Jake Villeneuve
Translation: Sun of the sleepless! melancholy star!
Whose tearful beam glows tremulously far!
That show’st the darkness thou canst not dispel,
How like art thou to joy remember’d well!
So gleams the past, the light of other days,
Which shines, but warms not with its powerless rays;
A nightbeam Sorrow watcheth to behold,
Distinct, but distant – clear – but, oh how cold!
Hymn “For the life that you have given”
Prayer of Dedication
Sermon: “Finding another way – there’s always a plan B”
Hymn 176 vs 1-3 & 5 “Songs of thankfulness and praise”
Closing song: “Walk with me”
Welcome Desk: Gloria Roberts & Anna Abraham
Greeters: Lois & Bob Reichard
Ushers: Anne & John Fairles, Ruth & Dick Heeg, Sue & Bruce Dickieson
Radio/Sound: Stephen Todd
Broadcast: John Scace
Multimedia: Emily Kozlowski
Giving Table: Margaret Johnson
Hospital Visitor: Ellen Yessis
Refreshments: Cheryl Meyer & Charlene Janes
Sunday Attendant: Ellen McIntosh
Welcome to Knox Waterloo
- You are welcome in the name of Jesus.
- Individual listening devices for improved sound are available at the Welcome Desk.
- We have Scent-Free Seating on the front left side as you enter from the back. You can also enter the scent free area from the side door.
- There is a bright, modern nursery on the main floor next to the sanctuary. If your infant or small child needs care during the worship service, you may leave the sanctuary and return as you wish. You and your child are welcome during worship. Childcare for infants and toddlers is available.
- Worship bags, containing quiet activities are on the wall opposite the nursery and toddler room. You are welcome to borrow one of these bags.
- Offering envelopes are on the backs of seats. You may choose to give after worship using credit card, debit card, or e-transfer. If using an offering envelope please leave your full address on it. This is a requirement for all charities in order to send charitable receipts for gifts.
- Please take a moment, if you wish, to introduce yourself to one of the ministers, or a greeter at the welcome desk.
There are many ways to give at Knox Waterloo. Everything we do is supported by the financial generosity of our community. We give generously in many ways.
- Some through PACK (Pre Authorized Contribution to Knox)
- Some generously with gifts of appreciated assets
- Some give via Credit Card or Debit after Church
- Some with weekly offering envelops
- Now through the phone app Pushpay, for Knox Waterloo, using our credit card at any time we feel God’s grace and a want to give. We can give 24 hours a day through this app. This takes about 10 seconds.
Knox Waterloo Presbyterian Church statement of Inclusion:
God’s Love Includes Everyone. As an inclusive, affirming congregation, we honour the diversity of God’s creation. Our community is richer when we include people of all ages, gender identities, racial and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, economic circumstances and family configurations. We seek to provide a safe space so that each person can bring every aspect of their whole self into participation within this congregation. We invite all to join into the life, leadership, witness and ministry of Knox Waterloo.