Welcome to worship. For many of us, this Labour Day weekend is considered the unofficial end of summer, with summer vacations ending and students returning to school. But it is also a holiday to lift up the labour, the work of people, either for pay or as volunteers, in jobs or at school, at home or in the workplace, here in Canada and around the world.
Entry of the Written Word
Call to Worship (Psalm)
One: God of Life,
All: you are near to us as our breath.
One: Touch our eyes,
All: that we may see you in one another.
One: Open our ears,
All: that we may hear your voice in the cries of the oppressed. One: Enter our hearts,
All: that we may be filled with your love toward all people. One: Come, O god of life and breath and wholeness.
All: Be with us now. Show us the way to new life and grant us the courage to be people of your Way.
Hymn 321 verses 1, 3, 4 “Praise to the Lord, the Almighty”
Opening Prayer and Lord’s Prayer
Peace Invocation: “Shalom”
Passing the Peace (We share a sign of peace with one another.)
Welcome, Acknowledgments and Announcements
Hymn 592 Verse 1 “I, the Lord of sea and sky”
Today in Sunday school: large group Sunday school in Knox Room.
Next Week: Mark 7:24-37 “What does it mean to be open?” Regular Sunday school starts for kids in Kindergarten to Grade 12. Nursery/toddler care is available in Room 106/107.
Hymn 592 Verse 3 “I, the Lord of sea and sky”
First Reading: Amos 8:4-7
Gospel: Matthew 20:1-15
Presentation of Our Offering
Offertory: “Who You Say I Am” by Ben Fielding and Brooke Ligertwood. Soloist: Andrew Hopper
Hymn “For the life that you have given”
Prayer of Dedication:
One: This is God’s wondrous world; a place of birds and rocks and rivers, of oceans and trees and animals, of people who care for each other and celebrate God’s goodness with every breath.
All: Within this wondrous world, O God, help us to celebrate your goodness by finding ways to share what we have. Receive the gifts we bring as a token of our love for you and use them to help your word come to life in our world. AMEN
Sermon: “Labour Day Reflections”
Hymn 730 “O for a world where everyone”
Choral Closing “Walk with me”
Welcome Desk: Nancy Matthews
Greeter: Gordon Coyne
Ushers: Sandi & Tom McBride, Gordon Coyne, Cheryl Meyers, Bill & Edith Stevens
Radio/Sound: Eric Gaudet
Broadcast: Barb Gaudet
Multimedia: David Matthews
Giving Table: Ken Vander Vleuten
Hospital Visitor: Gordon Coyne
Refreshments: Bill & Edith Stevens
Sunday Attendant: Grant Birks
Welcome to Knox Waterloo
- You are welcome in the name of Jesus.
- Individual listening devices for improved sound are available at the Welcome Desk.
- We have Scent-Free Seating on the front left side as you enter from the back. You can also enter the scent free area from the side door.
- There is a bright, modern nursery on the main floor next to the sanctuary. If your infant or small child needs care during the worship service, you may leave the sanctuary and return as you wish. You and your child are welcome during worship. Childcare for infants and toddlers is available.
- Worship bags, containing quiet activities are on the wall opposite the nursery and toddler room. You are welcome to borrow one of these bags.
- Offering envelopes are on the backs of seats. You may choose to give after worship using credit card, debit card, or e-transfer. If using an offering envelope please leave your full address on it. This is a requirement for all charities in order to send charitable receipts for gifts.
- Please take a moment, if you wish, to introduce yourself to one of the ministers, or a greeter at the welcome desk.
There are many ways to give at Knox Waterloo. Everything we do is supported by the financial generosity of our community. We give generously in many ways.
- Some through PACK (Pre Authorized Contribution to Knox)
- Some generously with gifts of appreciated assets
- Some give via Credit Card or Debit after Church
- Some with weekly offering envelops
- Now through the phone app Pushpay, for Knox Waterloo, using our credit card at any time we feel God’s grace and a want to give. We can give 24 hours a day through this app. This takes about 10 seconds.