“Three deceptively simple questions are at the heart of a spiritually vibrant Christianity—questions of believing, behaving, and belonging.”
Diana Butler Bass
“Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon, and are not his sisters here with us?”
Mark 6:3 (NRSV)
“O loving God, to turn away from you is to fall,
to turn toward you is to rise,
and to stand before you is to abide forever.
Grant us, dear God,
in all our duties your help;
in all our uncertainties your guidance;
in all our dangers your protection;
and in all your sorrows your peace;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.”
Augustine of Hippo (354–430)
Entry of the Written Word
Call to Worship (Psalm 48)
One: Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised in the city of our God.
All: God’s holy mountain, beautiful in elevation, is the joy of all the earth.
One: As we have heard, so have we seen in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God, which God establishes forever
All: We ponder your steadfast love, O God, in the midst of your temple.
One: Your name, O God, like your praise, reaches to the ends of the earth.
All: Tell the next generation that this is God, our God forever and ever. God will be our guide forever.
Hymn 299 “Holy, holy, holy”
Opening prayer and Lord’s Prayer
Peace Invocation: “May the peace of Christ be with you”
Passing the Peace
(We share a sign of Peace with one another.)
Introit: “From a Distance” Arr – Julie Gold
Soloist: Stephanie Tulloch
Welcome, Acknowledgements and Announcements
Hymn 631 “Jesus’ hands were kind hands”
Today in Sunday school: 2 Samuel 5:1-5;9-10 – Leadership: a Trust from God
Next week: 2 Samuel 6:1-5;12b-19 – Dance with the Spirit
JK- Gr 3 meets in Room 202; Gr 4-6 meets in Room 205; toddler/nursery care available in Room 107
First Reading: 2 Corinthians 12:7b-10
Gospel: Mark 6:1-13
Offertory: “Stand by Me”
by Ben E. King, Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller
Soloist: Stephanie Tulloch
Hymn “For the life that you have given”
Prayer of Dedication
Sermon: “Disenchanting moments”
Prayer for Hope
Hymn 682 (verses 1-4) “Just as I am, without one plea”
Benediction and Choral Closing “Walk with me”
The flowers in the sanctuary this morning are placed to the Glory of God and in loving memory of
Ellen Stewart – who passed on April 1st, 2018
Laura McCluskie – who passed on June 27th, 2018
loving mother, mother-in-law and grandmother.
Be at Peace – Linda and Douglas, Brianna Stewart
Welcome Desk: Femmy Birks
Greeters: Judy & John McBride
Ushers: Paul Ogram, Ken Vander Vleuten, Cheryl Meyer, Harold Ball, Dave Dougall, Duncan McLean
Radio/Sound: Jamie McManus
Broadcast: Stephen Kauk
Multimedia: Andrew Church
Giving Table: Marg Johnston
Hospital Visitor: Cheryl Meyer
Refreshments: Ruth Ann & Willie Ilgauds
Sunday Attendant: Ellen McIntosh
Welcome to Knox Waterloo
- You are welcome in the name of Jesus.
- Individual listening devices for improved sound are available at the Welcome Desk.
- We have Scent-Free Seating on the front left side as you enter from the back. You can also enter the scent free area from the side door.
- There is a bright, modern nursery on the main floor next to the sanctuary. If your infant or small child needs care during the worship service, you may leave the sanctuary and return as you wish. You and your child are welcome during worship. Childcare for infants and toddlers is available.
- Worship bags, containing quiet activities are on the wall opposite the nursery and toddler room. You are welcome to borrow one of these bags.
- Offering envelopes are on the backs of seats. You may choose to give after worship using credit card, debit card, or e-transfer. If using an offering envelope please leave your full address on it. This is a requirement for all charities in order to send charitable receipts for gifts.
- Please take a moment, if you wish, to introduce yourself to one of the ministers, or a greeter at the welcome desk.
There are many ways to give at Knox Waterloo. Everything we do is supported by the financial generosity of our community. We give generously in many ways.
- Some through PACK (Pre Authorized Contribution to Knox)
- Some generously with gifts of appreciated assets
- Some give via Credit Card or Debit after Church
- Some with weekly offering envelops
- Now through the phone app Pushpay, for Knox Waterloo, using our credit card at any time we feel God’s grace and a want to give. We can give 24 hours a day through this app. This takes about 10 seconds.