“Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places”
“Whenever I am in a real mess of pain, when a relationship has ended or I am in some kind of emotional suffering, and some well meaning Christian says “Well, when God closes a door, God opens a Window” I start immediately looking around for that open window so I can push them out of it. Which is to say, I don’t find ignoring the difficult reality of our lives in favor of some kind of blindly cheerful optimism to be hopeful I find it to be delusional.” Nadia Bolz Weber, 2013
Entry of the Written Word
Call to Worship
Hymn 262 “Come to us, beloved Stranger”
Opening prayer and Lord’s Prayer
Peace Invocation: “May the Peace of Christ be with You”
Passing the Peace (We share a sign of Peace with one another.)
Introit: “Give me Jesus” Arr. Mark Hayes
Solo: Autumn Wascher”
Welcome, Acknowledgements and Announcements
Hymn 252 “He is Lord” (we sing this twice)
Today in Sunday school: Luke 24:36-48 “In Joy and Disbelief”
Next week: Acts 4:5-12 “Love’s Power”
First Reading: Deuteronomy 11:18-21, 2 Timothy 3:14-17.
Gospel: Luke 24:13-35 NRSV
Presentation of Offering:
Your Generosity makes all things possible
Offertory: Offertory: “With a Voice of Singing” – Knox Chancel Choir
Words and music Martin Shaw
Hymn “For the life that you have given”
Prayer of Dedication (unison)
Sermon: “Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places”
Hymn 438 (verses 1–3) “When morning gilds the skies”
Choral Closing “Walk with me”
Walk with me, I will walk with you;
And build the land that God has planned
Where love shines through.
Copyright 1988 Estate of John S. Rice OneLicense.net #A713805
Welcome Desk: Mary Whitson, Nancy Matthews
Greeter: Gordon Coyne
Ushers: Anne & John Fairles, Pat & Harold Ball, Heather Cawsey, Ellen McIntosh
Radio/Sound: Kari Feldmann
Broadcast: John Scace
Multimedia: Emily Kozlowski
Giving Table: Ken Vander Vleuten
Hospital Visitor: Pat Ball
Refreshments: Ruth Ann & Willie Ilgauds
Sunday Attendant: Tristan de Oliveira
Welcome to Knox Waterloo
- You are welcome in the name of Jesus.
- Individual listening devices for improved sound are available at the Welcome Desk.
- We have Scent-Free Seating on the front left side as you enter from the back. You can also enter the scent free area from the side door.
- There is a bright, modern nursery on the main floor next to the sanctuary. If your infant or small child needs care during the worship service, you may leave the sanctuary and return as you wish. You and your child are welcome during worship. Childcare for infants and toddlers is available.
- Worship bags, containing quiet activities are on the wall opposite the nursery and toddler room. You are welcome to borrow one of these bags.
- Offering envelopes are on the backs of seats. You may choose to give after worship using credit card, debit card, or e-transfer. If using an offering envelope please leave your full address on it. This is a requirement for all charities in order to send charitable receipts for gifts.
- Please take a moment, if you wish, to introduce yourself to one of the ministers, or a greeter at the welcome desk.
There are many ways to give at Knox Waterloo. Everything we do is supported by the financial generosity of our community. We give generously in many ways.
- Some through PACK (Pre Authorized Contribution to Knox)
- Some generously with gifts of appreciated assets
- Some give via Credit Card or Debit after Church
- Some with weekly offering envelops
- Now through the phone app Pushpay, for Knox Waterloo, using our credit card at any time we feel God’s grace and a want to give. We can give 24 hours a day through this app. This takes about 10 seconds.