Lent 4 – “Love in the Midst of Adversity”
“The central Christian belief is that Christ’s death has somehow put us right with God and given us a fresh start. Theories as to how it did this are another matter. A good many different theories have been held as to how it works: what all Christians agree on is that it works.”
C.S. Lewis in “Mere Christianity”
Entry of the Written Word
Call to Worship PWS&D Lenten Readings (see screen or insert)
(please be seated for the responsive reading and hymn)
Hymn 201 “We come to ask your forgiveness, O Lord”
Peace Invocation: “Shalom”
Passing the Peace (We share a sign of Peace with one another.)
Introit: “I Am a Child of God” – Chancel Choir”
Welcome, Acknowledgements and Announcements
Hymn 435 (verses 1-3) “All things bright and beautiful”
Hymn 715 “Love the Lord your God”
Today in Sunday school: John 3:14-21 God So Loved
Nursery and Toddler care are provided in Room 107 today.
Next Week: John 12:20-33 The Heart of the Matter
First Reading: Ephesians 2:4-10
Gospel: John 3:14-21
Presentation of Offering:
- Donations may be offered through envelopes, debit, phone, or credit cards.
- Download app ‘PushPay’ to give now to Knox Waterloo.
- The Giving Table in the Atrium is open 20 minutes before worship and 30 minutes following worship.
- Some give appreciated stock on an annual basis.
- Some choose to give monthly through PACK Pre- Authorized-Contribution-at-Knox.
- Your Generosity makes all things possible.
Offertory: “I surrender all to you” – Chancel Choir
Arr. Mary McDonald Words: John E. Bode
Hymn “For the life that you have given”
Prayer of Dedication (unison)
Sermon: “Love and Adversity”
Pastoral Prayer and Lord’s Prayer
Hymn 675 “Precious Lord, take my hand”
Choral Closing “Walk with me”
Walk with me, I will walk with you;
And build the land that God has planned
Where love shines through.
Copyright 1988 Estate of John S. Rice OneLicense.net #A713805
Welcome Desk: Femmy Birks, Nancy Matthews
Greeters: Gordon Coyne
Ushers: Susan & Stuart McTavish, Susan & Eric Beard, Edi & Bill Stevens
Radio/Sound: Mark Culp
Broadcast: Stephen Kauk
Multimedia: Andrew Church
Giving Table: Marg Johnston
Hospital Visitor: Kathy Kiggins
Refreshments: Edi & Bill Stevens
Sunday Attendant: Ellen McIntosh
Welcome to Knox Waterloo
- You are welcome in the name of Jesus.
- Individual listening devices for improved sound are available at the Welcome Desk.
- We have Scent-Free Seating on the front left side as you enter from the back. You can also enter the scent free area from the side door.
- There is a bright, modern nursery on the main floor next to the sanctuary. If your infant or small child needs care during the worship service, you may leave the sanctuary and return as you wish. You and your child are welcome during worship. Childcare for infants and toddlers is available.
- Worship bags, containing quiet activities are on the wall opposite the nursery and toddler room. You are welcome to borrow one of these bags.
- Offering envelopes are on the backs of seats. You may choose to give after worship using credit card, debit card, or e-transfer. If using an offering envelope please leave your full address on it. This is a requirement for all charities in order to send charitable receipts for gifts.
- Please take a moment, if you wish, to introduce yourself to one of the ministers, or a greeter at the welcome desk.
There are many ways to give at Knox Waterloo. Everything we do is supported by the financial generosity of our community. We give generously in many ways.
- Some through PACK (Pre Authorized Contribution to Knox)
- Some generously with gifts of appreciated assets
- Some give via Credit Card or Debit after Church
- Some with weekly offering envelops
- Now through the phone app Pushpay, for Knox Waterloo, using our credit card at any time we feel God’s grace and a want to give. We can give 24 hours a day through this app. This takes about 10 seconds.