“And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year:
“Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.”
And he replied: “Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.” From the first lines of “The Gate of the Year” by Minnie Louise Haskins.
Entry of the Written Word
Call to Worship
Hymn #135 “Christians, Awake”
Prayer of Approach
Peace Invocation: “Shalom”
May the peace of The Lord be with you,
At home and in your heart
Shalom with you abide
Through the day and night
Every day of your life.
Passing the Peace
Introit “The Birds” by Benjamin Britten
Soloist: Stephanie Tulloch
Welcome and Acknowledgement and Announcements
Hymn #150 “Jesus, Our Brother, Kind and Good”
Time with the Children
Today in Sunday school: Large group time in the Knox Room for children in Kindergarten to Gr 6. Preschool/nursery care are also available.
Next week: Mark 1:4-11 “Spirited Beginnings”
Old Testament – Genesis 18:1-15
Gospel Reading – Luke 2:8-21
Epistle – Hebrews 13:1-2
Presentation of Offering:
Donations may be offered through debit, phone, or credit cards, at the Giving Table 20 minutes before worship or 30 minutes following worship.
Offertory Anthem: “Give Me Jesus” by Mark Hayes
Soloist: Stephanie Tulloch
Hymn: “For the life that you have given”
Prayer of Dedication
Sermon: “Keeping Christmas into the New Year”
Pastoral Prayer and Lord’s Prayer: (said)
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours – now and forever. Amen
Hymn #811 “Standing at the Portal”
Closing song: “Walk with me”
Walk with me, I will walk with you;
And build the land that God has planned
Where love shines through.
Knox Waterloo welcomes the Rev. Dr. Herb Gale as our worship leader this morning. Herb is originally from Charlotte, North Carolina, and received his Doctor of Ministry degree from Union Presbyterian Seminary in Richmond, Virginia. After serving a church in North Carolina, Herb came to the Toronto School of Theology where he received his Master of Theology degree in spirituality. Herb then served as minister at St. James’ in Stouffville, Ontario, and Westminster-St. Paul’s Church in Guelph, where he and his wife, Shirley, were in team ministry.
It was Herb’s keen interest in stewardship that drew him to the position of Associate Secretary for Planned Giving, in which capacity he served The Presbyterian Church in Canada from 2004 through 2015. In his work in planned giving, Herb travelled across the country advising individuals interested in making a legacy gift for the church and helping congregations develop vital planned giving ministries that were integrated into their theology of stewardship and their vision of ministry. In 2010, Herb was elected Moderator of the 136th General Assembly of the PCC. The theme for his moderatorial year was, “Growing the Generosity of the Church.”
In April of 2016, Herb joined the staff at Knox Church as the Minister of Generosity and Stewardship. As time permits, Herb enjoys quiet time spent with Shirley, gardening, running, photography, playing the guitar and singing.
Welcome Desk: Mary Whitson
Greeter: Gordon Coyne
Ushers: Barb & George MacAskill, Wendy Anderson ,Duncan McLean, Ralph Small, Brad Tucker
Radio/Sound: Jamie McManus
Broadcast: Kari Feldmann
Multimedia: David Matthews
Giving Table: John Scace
Hospital Visitor: Ellen Yessis
Refreshments: Ruth Ann & Willie Ilgauds
Sunday Attendant: Tristan de Oliveira
Welcome to Knox Waterloo
- You are welcome in the name of Jesus.
- Individual listening devices for improved sound are available at the Welcome Desk.
- We have Scent-Free Seating on the front left side as you enter from the back. You can also enter the scent free area from the side door.
- There is a bright, modern nursery on the main floor next to the sanctuary. If your infant or small child needs care during the worship service, you may leave the sanctuary and return as you wish. You and your child are welcome during worship. Childcare for infants and toddlers is available.
- Worship bags, containing quiet activities are on the wall opposite the nursery and toddler room. You are welcome to borrow one of these bags.
- Offering envelopes are on the backs of seats. You may choose to give after worship using credit card, debit card, or e-transfer. If using an offering envelope please leave your full address on it. This is a requirement for all charities in order to send charitable receipts for gifts.
- Please take a moment, if you wish, to introduce yourself to one of the ministers, or a greeter at the welcome desk.
There are many ways to give at Knox Waterloo. Everything we do is supported by the financial generosity of our community. We give generously in many ways.
- Some through PACK (Pre Authorized Contribution to Knox)
- Some generously with gifts of appreciated assets
- Some give via Credit Card or Debit after Church
- Some with weekly offering envelops
- Now through the phone app Pushpay, for Knox Waterloo, using our credit card at any time we feel God’s grace and a want to give. We can give 24 hours a day through this app. This takes about 10 seconds.