“In times of despair, there is a need for concrete, public acts of hope, public risks for newness, and public assault on conventional hopelessness. For it is in the specific, concrete expression of naming the despair that there come the seeds and possibilities of hope.”
Walter Brueggemann “Like Fire in the Bones”
Entry of the Written Word
Call to Worship
Welcome and Acknowledgement
Hymn 440 verses 1, 4 &6 “For all the love”
Prayer of Approach
Peace Invocation: “Shalom”
May the peace of The Lord be with you,
At home and in your heart
Shalom with you abide
Through the day and night
Every day of your life.
Passing the Peace
LOGOS Junior High Worship Arts Signing with Barb Tucker
“10,000 Reasons” Matt Redman
sung by Andrew Hopper
- Christmas Bazaar – Heather Purdy
Hymn 674 verses 1 & 2 “In the bulb there is a flower”
Time with the Children
- Today in Sunday school: Psalm 78:1-7 “Songs of the Heart”
- Next week: Matthew 25:14-30 “What’s in a Story?”
Hymn of the Month: 420 “Praise, I will praise”
sung by Chancel Choir
Hebrew Prophet: Jeremiah 8:18-22
Sung Response 747 verse 1 “There is a balm in Gilead”
New Testament: Romans 8:18, 24-25
Sung Response 462 verse 1 “All my hope on God is founded”
Presentation of Offering:
Donations may be offered through debit, phone, or credit cards, at the Giving Table 20 minutes before worship or 30 minutes following worship.
Offertory anthem: “Make this Church a Welcome Place”
Words – J. Paul Williams, Music- Joel Raney
Hymn “For the life that you have given”
For the life that you have given,
For the love in Christ made known,
With these fruits of time and labour,
With these gifts that are your own:
Here we offer, Lord, our praises;
Heart and mind and strength we bring;
Give us grace to love and serve you,
Living what we pray and sing.
Prayer of Dedication
Scripture Presentation: Jeremiah 32:1-15
Sermon: “Looking for Hope in a time of Despair”
Pastoral Prayer and Lord’s Prayer (music by Terry English)
Hymn 748 verses 1,3 &4 “Lord of all hopefulness”
Closing song: “Walk with me”
Walk with me, I will walk with you;
And build the land that God has planned
Where love shines through.
Brooke is away this weekend leading worship at the Presbyterian Church in Canada’s “Stewards by Design” Conference near Orillia. Mary-Catherine Pazzano is also participating in worship as the music leader. This is a gathering of 28 congregations from across Canada (each church sends a team of 4) with leadership given by Dr. Kennon Callahan. Last year Ruth Song, John Scace, Jen Yessis and Linda Ashfield attended “Stewards by Design” as Knox Waterloo’s team.
Welcome Desk: Anna Abraham
Greeters: Ian McLean
Ushers: Barb & Brad Tucker, Pat & Harold Ball, Lynelle Purdy, Bob Reichard
Radio/Sound: Joe Gordon
Broadcast: John Scace
Multimedia: David Matthews
Giving Table: Jen Yessis
Hospital Visitor: Beth Thorsen
Refreshments: Barbara & John Cochrane
Sunday Attendant: Ellen McIntosh
Welcome to Knox Waterloo
- You are welcome in the name of Jesus.
- Individual listening devices for improved sound are available at the Welcome Desk.
- We have Scent-Free Seating on the front left side as you enter from the back. You can also enter the scent free area from the side door.
- There is a bright, modern nursery on the main floor next to the sanctuary. If your infant or small child needs care during the worship service, you may leave the sanctuary and return as you wish. You and your child are welcome during worship. Childcare for infants and toddlers is available.
- Worship bags, containing quiet activities are on the wall opposite the nursery and toddler room. You are welcome to borrow one of these bags.
- Offering envelopes are on the backs of seats. You may choose to give after worship using credit card, debit card, or e-transfer. If using an offering envelope please leave your full address on it. This is a requirement for all charities in order to send charitable receipts for gifts.
- Please take a moment, if you wish, to introduce yourself to one of the ministers, or a greeter at the welcome desk.
There are many ways to give at Knox Waterloo. Everything we do is supported by the financial generosity of our community. We give generously in many ways.
- Some through PACK (Pre Authorized Contribution to Knox)
- Some generously with gifts of appreciated assets
- Some give via Credit Card or Debit after Church
- Some with weekly offering envelops
- Now through the phone app Pushpay, for Knox Waterloo, using our credit card at any time we feel God’s grace and a want to give. We can give 24 hours a day through this app. This takes about 10 seconds.